Friday, August 22, 2008

Epiphanies

Life has been a bit tough lately. Certainly I'm not alone in this but as a writer if I'm too down, stressed, anxious to write, well that is a bad thing, no? I've been running myself ragged trying to satisfy demands of home, work, family, friends and all those responsibilities that I, as the girl who can't say no, am overwhelmed with. I had a very late night last night (and as Danny Glover announces repeatedly in the Lethal Weapon films - I'm too old for this shit) and didn't get enough sleep. In instances like that I normally wake up grouchy, exhausted and stressed before the day begins. But a funny thing happened on the way to my grumpy Friday ..... I woke up ..... HAPPY.

In fact I woke up raring to go. Excited to get my day underway and see what I could see. Whatever could have happened while I slept? Apparently I had one of those nighttime epiphenies you've heard tell of. Never heard tell of them? Oh, I thought it was just me. Anyway. I had one. Like a dream, I don't know what it was, but hey, it can't be bad if I wake up with a renewed sense of energy, optimism and enthusiasm, right? RIGHT!

So when I got underway today I made some decisions. I decided not to rush. I decided I would take a deep breath whenever I got the urge to get angry and snarl or growl at the slow people, the cell-phone fanatics, the huddled masses of shoppers and commuters blocking the sidewalk, the escalator hogs who jump to the head of the line. I decided to smile at people. I always say please and thank you, but I decided to say it with feeling and a smile. I decided to indulge my creative, enthusiastic, immature self and bought construction paper and crayons and pretty notebooks from the pre-teen back to school section at KMart and now have lovely notebooks with pretty horses pictured on them, a 96 color selection box of Crayola crayons and some horsey folders to keep my soon-to-be-created drawings in.

I decided I was going to stop obsessing about the bad and focus on the good. Breathe a little deeper, smile a little more, be nicer, embrace youthful energy, stop worrying so much and live a kinder, gentler life. Being kinder and gentler to myself, I mean. I'm going to stop feeling guilty because I can't be all things to all people, can't finish every task in one day, can't always be happy or smart or kind and productive. I'm going to give myself the freedom to relax and let it "be" every once in a while. To forgive myself for being imperfect. To sometimes just be lazy and laid-back and do something with no value, for no reason, like sit and stare at the sky and watch the clouds roll by.

And you know what? When I decided to do this .... when I focused on being unfocused .... all of a sudden, the creative juices started flowing. Ideas, thoughts, words, images .... without having to fight their way through the morass of expectations, anticipations, responsibilities, chores, burdens and cares and woes ... came pouring forth.

And in this vein, I'm going to burst forth myself, into my day, into my future, embracing my creative side, my playful side, my gentle side, my lazy side, my whimsical side, and my loving side.

Hey, I've got a great idea! Why don't you give it a shot? Try an experiment, something new. Something that makes you feel good, instead of bad. Happy instead of sad. Relaxed instead of stressed. Fulfilled instead of frustrated.

And toward that end, here are some ideas you might want to try:

Pursue a good time
Laugh out loud
Compliment a stranger
Don't rush
Hunt for miracles
Forgive a hurt
Strive
Enjoy a creative moment
Live with wonder
Learn something new
Embrace yourself
Believe in goodness
Do something nice without telling anyone
Give a gift of love
Be brave
Recycle - give the Earth a hug
Take a nap
Remember your dreams
Think young
Breathe deeply
Look up
Smile at a child
Feel good
Relish beauty
Indulge yourself
Risk
Make a happy list
Find out something
Explore
Read a poem
Help someone
Let your silly side out
Release guilt
Twirl around
Dance
Skip
Stroll
Walk barefoot
Play like a kid
Pretend
Do the right thing
Banish anger
Eat something delicious
Draw a picture
Sing a song
Relax
Stand still
Discover hope

17 comments:

Paisley Kirkpatrick said...

Love your blog - just like you said I would. Another item to add to your list - eat slower and really taste the food. Smiles are always big on my list and I love to give them to strangers I pass on the street. I love the surprised looks on their faces. :)

Lynne Marshall said...

Lise! I love your advice. I had a particularly grumpy day yesterday. You've helped me recognize that I've lost the child in me, and that isn't a good thing. Our attitudes affect every part of our lives, and a good one goes a long way toward keeping us happier. I would make one tiny suggestion. Instead of searching for miracles, I'd say: REcognize miracles. Little miracles happen all the time, yet go unnoticed.
Like your blog - it was a tiny miracle because it was just what I needed to read.
Thank you!

Lise said...

Isn't it great, Paisley, when that happens? That look of surprise, a flash of suspicion and then a smile in return! And I like to think that the "goodness vibes" that are sent out can touch everyone that stranger will come in contact with. Like a highly contagious joy bug.

Lise said...

I'm so glad that you enjoyed my post and my thoughts, Lynne. I was dragging around under a cloud and it was as if I opened my eyes this morning and they'd all be stripped away to show me how foolish I'd been. I like to look around for miracles, though, because the tiny little wondrous things that are all around us are miraculous and we so often miss them. I saw a tiny little lizard this morning as I waited for my train and I was smiling as a result of the way the creature touched my day. Isn't that cool?

Eliza Knight said...

Great post Lise! I love your attitude, and I think I may go out and get some of those fairy, flowery unicorn notebooks too!

Cheers!
Eliza

Anonymous said...

Really good column, Lise. Your experience reminds me of some maternal advice I received years ago about holding onto things. The harder you try to hold a thing, my mother told me, the more likely it is to squirt from your grasp. Hmm. Do you think she was talking about something other than lemons?

Lise said...

Miriam, a sage bit of wisdom from your Mother. I am particularly prone to trying to clutch everything to me. And then your arms are so full you can't reach out for all the new and wonderful things that come your way.

I think letting go is a great way to unclutter one's heart and soul, as well as your mind. Free yourself up for al the new sensations, thoughts and experiences that are on their way.

Then write about them!

Have a joyful day!

Lise said...

Happy shopping, Eliza! For a middle-aged lady I still do love my whimsical playthings. They make me feel imaginative, creative, youthful, and fun! Excellent therapy when the day job ends. I'm going to spend some time in the shade under a big tree this weekend, coloring and writing and rewarding myself for my dedication to responsibility by wallowing in my creative side! I feel the call of Play-doh, too!

Nancy said...

Terrific blog, Lise! Focusing on the good and uplifting is always a good thing!

May your weekend sing!

Light,
Nancy Haddock
La Vida Vampire

Anonymous said...

Lise,

all good advice. Live in the moment and enjoy it. ;o)

Lise said...

Have a scrumptious day, Nancy!

("Nice" just doesn't cut it for me anymore! I want superior superlatives!)

Anonymous said...

You said it all, Girl! I've been doing exactly what you spoke about for over a year now. Nope, not kidding at all. I had a total exhaustion crash and said not only, "No." But "No more." Now I do what I can, the best I can and don't worry about the rest. Some days it's easier said than done, but by golly that's the way I do it now. Way to go!!! And you know, if you hit a writing slump here's a fun one for you----grab some spiral notebooks from Wal-Mart with seriously cute covers and a pack of pens. I guarantee you the words will flow!
Thanks for a great post and giving us Elements the heads up about it:)
Ellen Dye

Lise said...

Hey, Ellen, glad to hear the "therapy" worked for you! I am a Gemini and have a seriously wacky side that I'm going to give free rein for a while. And obviously it worked for you with your new release!

Stay cool, stay relaxed, and stay sane!

Susan Macatee said...

Great post, Lise!
It's always good to concentrate on the positive things in life rather than the negative. Gives you a reason to wake up happy instead of stressed and grumpy because of all the obligations you have to face.

Frances said...

Lise, what a wonderful blog! Do you mind if I post a link to it from my blog?

Frances

Writing Science Fiction Romance
Real Love in a Real Future
http://frances-writes.blogspot.com/

Nicole McCaffrey said...

Great blog, Lise. It really does take more effort to be positive and not let the little things get to you! Just think how much nicer this world would be if more people took the time to do it!

You go, girl!

Lise said...

Thanks for the cheerleader duty, Nicole. It is hard to be up, happy, cheerful, positive and optimistic - who knew? But one of the things that I have realized just recently is that if we let go of the wonder of childhood, if we abandon the joy that doing good works brings - and there is so much you can do that doesn't cost a penny or take more than a scintilla of energy - if we forget how to laugh and smile and value the little things in life - we're going to be sour and dried up and unable to enjoy the good times that do come along.

I've gotten great feedback and am thrilled that my blog struck such a positive nerve!